This page provides brief descriptions of our departments and their main services. Please select from the Departments on the left column or go to Contact Us to quickly find a department room number and phone number.
- Daily administration of Clerk of Court and Customer Relations.
- Responsible for financial information of Clerk of Court Office (Salary Fund, Agency Funds and Fixed Assets).
- Employee Payroll, time cards.
- This department operates under strict confidentiality laws.
- Responsible for processing all new Adoption and Juvenile suits and any subsequent pleadings; includes issuance of Citations, Subpoenas, Rule Nisis, Writs, and Notices.
- Houses and retrieves older records and books for various departments, including Civil, Family, Probate, Criminal, Juvenile and Adoption records, Mortgage and Conveyance books and original land records documents.
- Archive Records
- Genealogy Research
- Prepares records on appeal to the First Circuit Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- Prepares records taken on writs to the 1st Circuit Court.
- Houses civil minute books.
- Processes all new civil and probate suits and subsequent pleadings to be served; includes issuance of Citations, Subpoenas, Rule Nisi, Writs and Notices.
- Processes billing on all suit accounts.
- Accepts payments from billing.
- Assists the public in obtaining copies of notarial documents recorded in the Clerk's Office.
- Files, films, and posts all Bills of Information/Indictments and any subsequent pleadings.
- Files and posts all warrants, bonds and affidavits of probable cause.
- Prepares all appeals going to the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Creates indices of all recorded documents.
- Proofs and updates Vendor, Vendee, Mortgagor and Mortgagee indices.
- Responsible for coordinating and administrating all scheduled elections.
- Ballot Information
- Processes pleadings that relate to divorce and custody matters; includes issuance of Citations, Subpoenas, Rule Nisi, Writs and Notices.
- Processes applications and petitions for protective order to victims of abuse pertaining to family related situations.
- Provides On-Line Access of computer data such as mortgage and suit information.
- Provides all computer related responsibilities of the office.
- Maintains website information.
- Online Services
- Prepares Mortgage Certificates for Property Bonds, Sheriff Sales, Constable Sales and Marshal Sales, Crop Pledge Certificates, Expropriations, Chattel Certificates and Account Receivable Certificates.
- Prepares Lien Certificates.
- Notarizes Cancellations.
- Mandamus Suits.
- Lien Bonds
- Processes Employment
- Maintain personnel and insurance files on employees.
- Maintain office guidelines and procedures
- Directs all programs regarding service to the community, including special event programs such as the Kids ID Program, as well as coordinating the office's involvement in charity events.
- Arranges for tours and written information designed to inform the public of the services that the Clerk of Court's office offers.
- Provides information to the media and the public about all matters relating to the Clerk of Court's office and the information housed therein.
- Services rendered in the Public Service Department includes issuance of the following:
- Marriage Licenses, Sample License
- Registrations of Clergyman
- Acts Of Congress
- Oaths Of Offices
- Conveyance Certificates
- Municipal Address Information
- Acknowledgement of Paternity Searches
- Trade Name Searches
- Property Bonds
- Recording Fees
- UCC Fees
- Recording Instruction Sheet
- Acts involving movable and immovable property
- Partnerships and corporation
- Acts of Cancellation
- Judgments & Liens
- Reinscribing previously recorded documents
- Oaths of office of Notaries, Sheriff Deputies, Deputy Clerks of Court and various parish officials
- Military Discharges
- Medical Certificates
Registry of the Court:
- Responsible for the accountability of monies, Lien Bonds and various documents as so ordered by the Court.
- Files and posts all new Civil, Family, Probate and Judicial Commitment Suits and any subsequent pleadings.
- Collects advance deposits.
- Refunds unused court costs.
- Advance Cost
- Fax Filings
- Processes all tickets given by Louisiana State Police (Troop A, Headquarters and Department of Public Safety), East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, Louisiana State University Police, and Southern University Police.
- Storage and Retrieval of all Traffic Minutes
- Trains employees with the basic professional skills required to effectively perform their job function and assist the public.